The main activity of the business in question is printing oversized 3D objects for a wide consumer audience: creating models of buildings, toys, plastic parts, figurines and busts of people, printing design solutions from ready-made 3D files of customers.
An additional source of income will be the creation of digital 3D models.
3d printer business plan: market outlook
The 3D printing industry has experienced huge changes in the previous 5 years. This was due to the emergence of relatively inexpensive 3D printers, after which specialized technology became available to small businesses.
According to forecasts, the global 3D printing market will reach $6 billion by 2017 and $11 billion by 2021.
Particularly strong growth is experienced by the segment of consumer services performed on a 3D printer. Sales in this area grew by an average of 346% annually between 2010 and 2013. Growth slowed down in 2014, but it is still strong.
In Russia, the 3D printing market is represented by approximately 250 companies that provide their services to both individual consumers and businesses.
Each year, these businesses generate over $8 billion in revenue and provide more than 2,000 jobs. The total payroll in the industry is $900 million a year.
Business plan 3d printer: what is needed to implement the idea?
The main items of expenditure in the first 6 months of the project implementation:
- First of all, to complete the project, it is necessary to purchase equipment. For the tasks set, a 3D Systems Cube 3D printer worth 65,000 rubles, a MakerBot Digitizer 3D Desktop 3D scanner for $ 60,000 and a personal computer — $ 55,000 are suitable.
- ABS plastic will be used as the material, as it has the necessary versatility at a relatively low price. For six months, we need about 90 kg of plastic, which will cost $ 215,000.
- Software: «Cubify Invent» (2500 rubles) and «Cubify Sculpt» (6000 rubles). In total — 8500 rubles.
- To effectively run a business, you will need at least 2 employees:
- Firstly, a technical specialist with the skill of working with 3D printers, the estimated salary is 70,000 rubles. per month.
- Secondly, a client manager, whose duties will include accepting applications, consulting in the office and answering emails, salary — 50,000 rubles.
- Thus, the wage fund for 6 months will amount to 720,000 rubles.
- Rent for the space that will house the office and production studio — $240,000.
- The marketing and advertising budget is $300,000. It will include the creation of a website, posting information about the company in online directories, forums and social networks, as well as conducting a local advertising campaign designed for the target audience — distributing flyers and publishing in newspapers ( read more about marketing research here) .
- Contributions to the pension fund and USN tax — $ 830,000.
- Unforeseen expenses — $100,000.
Thus, the total amount of expenses for 6 months will be $2,593,500.
The calculations are relevant for the average regional center of Russia.
3d printer business plan: sources of income
Daily execution of 10 3D printing orders with an average cost of 2500 rubles. within 155 working days will bring a total revenue of 3,875,000 rubles.
In this case, the cost is 5.6% of the price of the finished product.
The expected income from 3D modeling is 852,500 rubles, subject to the creation of 5 models per day at a cost of 1,100 rubles.
In the most ideal scenario, the net profit for 6 months, taking into account all costs, will be 1,917,000 rubles!
3d printer business plan: project risks
- The main risks are mainly related to the possibility of damage to the 3D printer or scanner. Even with warranty service included, service may be suspended for up to 2 weeks. This is due to the fact that components will have to be delivered from abroad.
- Another risk factor is the stability of the national currency. Since the share of expenses for materials is up to 10% of total expenses, the devaluation of the ruble for every 10% will reduce profits by at least 1%. And also it makes it difficult to further expand the business.